Thank you for your interest in Head Start. Our program offers free educational and family services to eligible 3-5 year olds and their families in various collaborative independent School District school and satellite locations (centers/sites) throughout San Antonio and Bexar County. To qualify for our services your child must be age eligible AND your family must either be income or categorically eligible.
- Head Start services children 3 to 5 years of age
- Income Eligibility:
Head Start services are available if your family meets the Federal Poverty Guidelines and is a resident of Bexar County. To see the HHS webpage for the guidelines - click here
- Categorical Eligibility:
Head Start eligibility is granted, if your family meets any of the following categories
- The child to be enrolled is in foster care
- The family is receiving benefits or services through the TANF Program
- A family member living with and supported by you is receiving Supplemental Security Income benefits (SSI)
- The family is homeless
Priority assistance is given to children from low income families and children with a disability, including a severe disability. Income eligibility requirements for Head Start may be waived, if your child has a current Individualized Education Plan (IEP), or a current Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP).
The Recruitment period for the Head Start Program year begins in March each year. Priority placement is given to low-income children and children with disabilities, including severedisabilities. Recruitment events and times vary by Head Start Provider. Families who wish to submit an application will be asked to bring specific documentation to determine eligibility.
The following documents are needed to apply for Head Start services:
- Proof of All Family Income:
1040, W2, Pay Stubs, Unemployment Document Statement from Employer, TANF, or SSI Documents
- Child's Verification of Age
- Proof of Guardianship (if applicable foster letter, Child Protective Services)
- Proof of Residence (bill or statement with your name and address, example: CPS or SAWS)
- Divorce Decree / Custody Documents (if applicable)
- Proof of Child Support (if applicable)